Pages: [1]
Earl Annandale
BAM!ID: 214732
Credits: 157,037,355
World-rank: 7,831

2017-03-03 12:38:04

Hi everyone. I've been using BAM for a few weeks but I'm running out of patience. When I want to change which Projects to run using BAM, BOINC doesn't load them according to my settings. I've tried all combinations of resetting, stop using BAM manager, reset projects, reset projects, synchronize, unchecked all projects for new hosts, added hosts, and everything in between.

I have my host preferences set up, I have my projects checked the way I want them for my host, but I'll be danged if BOINC won't load my projects according to those settings. If I play around with the settings in BAM and load /unload projects, hosts, add subtract multiply divide for about 30 minutes, it sometimes synchs properly.

After over 3 weeks of trying to make it behave the way I want, I'm at a loss. I've been to many forums/FAQ's and web sites looking at instructions but BAM doesn't want to cooperate.

I'm probably going to me directed to some instructions but I've probably already read them a dozen times over. And yes, I've tried all the combinations of synching/adding/taking away projects and hosts in an attempt to get BOINC to load my projects the way I want them.

Any ideas?
noderaser

BAM!ID: 13859
Credits: 254,540,739
World-rank: 5,626

2017-03-04 03:36:27

What is not syncing properly; your preferences or the project list? The preferences are handled "through" your projects; they are saved from BAM to the projects, then BOINC reads them from the project that has the most recently edited set. The project list is synchronized with BAM.
Earl Annandale

2017-03-04 09:18:47

noderaser wrote:

What is not syncing properly; your preferences or the project list? The preferences are handled "through" your projects; they are saved from BAM to the projects, then BOINC reads them from the project that has the most recently edited set. The project list is synchronized with BAM.

Yes, that part I understand.

Let me put it this way. I started using BOINC just over 3 weeks ago. I've been changing projects every one to three days trying to get a handle on which ones do well on my computer. When I change projects (and adjust preferences for my host), sometimes all I have to do is synch with BAM and everything works fine. Other times it doesn't. I have to stop using BAM as a manager in BOINC, remove projects, add BAM again and load my projects. BUT, most of the time the default settings are read from BAM (project weight 100) and that's all. I customize my project settings, i.e. my host has a Work Preference (Global), and the projects are setup the way I want them for that host.

I guess what I'm saying is my projects don't get loaded according to my settings when I adjust something in BAM. The latest trick I found that works is after making a change if my settings don't take the way I want them, I stop using BAM manager, remove projects, shut down BOINC, start BOINC, add BAM as Manager. The projects then load, if my projects don't load according to my settings from BAM, I synch. If they still don't adjust, I open (in BOINC) Options => Computing Preferences. If it says "Using web based settings" and the site listed is bam.boinc.stats, I try synching with BAM again. If the site isn't BAM (sometimes it's world community grid, no idea why), I click Use Web Based, and it magically works. This is why I'm saying I don't understand how BAM works. Everything is there on the BAM site and it makes sense but it's not behaving in a logical way.

Anyways, I'll continue to use voodoo to get things to work. This morning I prayed to SETI@home and Milkyway@home...just in case.

Thank you for your response.
noderaser

BAM!ID: 13859
Credits: 254,540,739
World-rank: 5,626

2017-03-06 03:00:49

When you have BOINC attached to BAM, you must make changes to the projects you want to compute for at the BAM website; either from the "My projects" page to attach to all hosts, or the appropriate page under "Host list" if you want to adjust one specific host. The "work preferences" are just the settings like when to use your computer, memory and CPU percentage, etc.

Once you find a set of projects you like, you can assign different resource shares to each project, and BOINC will try and balance out the credit (not necessarily the time) between them according to the ratios.
Tuna Ertemalp

Tester
BAM!ID: 37744
Credits: 20,799,048,922
World-rank: 231

2017-03-10 03:04:22

If by "settings" you mean the computing preferences and why they keep magically getting set to whatever World Community Grid thinks they should be as opposed to how you set them in BAM!'s WorkPreferences: In short, it is a BOINCMgr bug exposed by a relatively recent (mis)behavior change by WCG. Because of this, I ended up stop using web based Computing Pref's from BAM!, and instead entered my values in every host I own manually, waiting for a new BOINC update to fix that, but not holding my breath. Related threads are:

https://boincstats.com/en/forum/9/11379
https://boincstats.com/en/forum/18/11388
https://boincstats.com/en/forum/19/7488

Earl Annandale

2017-03-10 16:03:22

Tuna Ertemalp wrote:

If by "settings" you mean the computing preferences and why they keep magically getting set to whatever World Community Grid thinks they should be as opposed to how you set them in BAM!'s WorkPreferences: In short, it is a BOINCMgr bug exposed by a relatively recent (mis)behavior change by WCG. Because of this, I ended up stop using web based Computing Pref's from BAM!, and instead entered my values in every host I own manually, waiting for a new BOINC update to fix that, but not holding my breath. Related threads are:

https://boincstats.com/en/forum/9/11379
https://boincstats.com/en/forum/18/11388
https://boincstats.com/en/forum/19/7488

Thank you, that explains a lot.

I have my favorite ceremony figured out when I want to change something. I sacrifice a chicken, set a doll on fire in the driveway and dance around it naked. Works like a charm! True story.
Pages: [1]

Index :: BAM! General :: BAM not operating in a way I understand
Reason: