Pages: [1]

2014-09-10 22:15:34

Crunched this as a wild card 'I don't really understand hat it is about' project. Been offline for a while now is it finished? Anybody know?
Dr Who Fan
BAM!ID: 1075
Credits: 145,173,822
World-rank: 8,281

2014-09-11 01:24:16

Anybody's guess but it is run/mangled by the same one who runs Beal@Home which is another P.I.T.A. more down than up and NO communications from project Admin [go look at the project's forum]

2014-09-11 07:43:30

Thanks! I think I understand. Well my pitiful system has others to crunch

Impressive stats Dr Who Fan.
microchip

BAM!ID: 21080
Credits: 473,858,598
World-rank: 3,649

2014-09-11 20:07:21

It's dead, Jim

2014-09-13 07:48:02

Cue somber music and muffled drums
Alez

BAM!ID: 121197
Credits: 385,069,762,231
World-rank: 18

2015-01-11 03:36:28

This project is still off line / dead and should be considered for retirement.
Coleslaw
BAM!ID: 60911
Credits: 4,188,304,481
World-rank: 722

2015-01-12 03:57:27

It was ran by the same admin as Beal which is also now dead. It should surprise anyone that they have similar issues and both stopped working about the same time.
krzyszp

BAM!ID: 888
Credits: 466,657,101
World-rank: 3,685

2015-01-20 19:29:55

Coleslaw wrote:

It was ran by the same admin as Beal which is also now dead. It should surprise anyone that they have similar issues and both stopped working about the same time.

I had discussion with admin. He haven't time to manage servers so he don't want to put it live and don't manage properly...
Regards,

Krzysztof 'krzyszp' Piszczek
Boinc@Poland team member.
microchip

BAM!ID: 21080
Credits: 473,858,598
World-rank: 3,649

2015-01-21 14:37:15

Krzysztof Piszczek - wspieram Polski Projekt Boinc wrote:

Coleslaw wrote:

I had discussion with admin. He haven't time to manage servers so he don't want to put it live and don't manage properly...

The he shouldn't start multiple projects if he knows he can't commit to running them. This is disrespecting of the boinc users who expect something well managed and something that produces scientific results. Not something from a guy running stuff from his mom's basement

2015-01-22 01:10:27
last modified: 2015-01-22 01:21:32

Coleslaw wrote:

This is a Classical example why I had enough of more and more projects are just USING and ignoring us without explaining what is going on in their project. I started a campaign that unless they can explain to us in their News Section, or if they have issues with their website in an email to an official BOINC Forum any issues effecting the project they should be removed from any support and removed from any list of projects published by BOINC. I suggest a time frame of say one month (subject to debate) If no News from the project in that time one can assume that they have no further interest in us and should be retired to save us time in research weather 60 or 70 projects are still Active or not. I understand that there is no hard and fast policy on this as BOINC has no central ruling body as it is a software that is designed to be used as a useful tool to supplement Distributed Computing. On the other hand, I feel that we as Volunteers should be safeguarded against projects that do not conform to an expected way of behavior and should not be expected to spend untold hours researching what projects to choose and is it safe to do so or is the project bogus and does not care what we think for that is obvious to us by not telling us any news about the project. It is not good enough for example to tell us in the News in the case of ABC@Home that the project will be off for a few hours whilst they install a new server when there was no news why it has not been active since April last year, they have not even exported stats since that time. O'Project and many other projects are in a similar boat showing no interest in looking after the hand that feeds them.

<warning. the following is partly off topic but related> Unfortunately I have been banned from the BOINC Forum by Ageless the Forum Admin. He has hidden a post by me and explained in a PM that it was hidden because I am too aggressive and demanding, he warned me that unless I stay away on the ground that I am too aggressive and demanding I will be banned until the 26th of January or permanently. This effectively stopped my campaign for I can not participate in any debate. I maintain that the hidden post is not aggressive and or demanding. Should anybody be interested in that post, please send me a PM and I will post it to you for your evaluation. The main topic in which I can not participate is located Here [/end of warning]

To date, Dr Anderson the founder of the BOINC software has registered my name as a reply to my email to the BOINC Developers Forum and has given me a Password to edit the BOINC Wiki as it still contains Active known projects like Aqua@Home that have retired a long time ago. I will continue my campaign to have an effective policy of what projects should appear in the BOINC Manager option to choose a project when you wish to add a project to your list another time and another place. Bear in mind that it is not expected that Developers of the project should spend hours researching every project as to their status. We as volunteers could be useful in doing just that as long as we have a guideline to determine when is a Project considered Active, Inactive or Retired. I am just suggesting that we should have a system of reporting our findings to a person who can add or remove a project from the list.

I hope that the above is not too far off topic and I hope that I will not be banned from here as well because I am exercising my right to express my feeling as a Free man. Admin or Moderator. Should you consider that this topic deserves the creation of a New Thread, please move it and do so, edit it as necessary by leaving out irrelevant parts, but please do not ban me or hide the post for I am sure other users who put considerable finance and volunteer their time to help the Scientific Research community might like to debate this problem until it is resolved one way or another. I would appreciate if somebody who has the time write to that thread and let them know that Dr Anderson has indeed had time to answer my question to my email to the Boinc Dev email list despite his busy schedule. I can not post there until the 26th of January as I am banned. As regards Ageless the Admin, I apologize if I have offended him in any way for I had no idea or intention to deliberately offend him.

Keep on crunching and have a nice day.
RFGuy_KCCO
BAM!ID: 93244
Credits: 34,305,453,775
World-rank: 163

2015-01-22 03:53:02
last modified: 2015-01-22 03:53:20

Cruncher Pete [BlackOpsTeam wrote:

Coleslaw wrote:

This is a Classical example why I had enough of more and more projects are just USING and ignoring us without explaining what is going on in their project. I started a campaign that unless they can explain to us in their News Section, or if they have issues with their website in an email to an official BOINC Forum any issues effecting the project they should be removed from any support and removed from any list of projects published by BOINC. I suggest a time frame of say one month (subject to debate) If no News from the project in that time one can assume that they have no further interest in us and should be retired to save us time in research weather 60 or 70 projects are still Active or not. I understand that there is no hard and fast policy on this as BOINC has no central ruling body as it is a software that is designed to be used as a useful tool to supplement Distributed Computing. On the other hand, I feel that we as Volunteers should be safeguarded against projects that do not conform to an expected way of behavior and should not be expected to spend untold hours researching what projects to choose and is it safe to do so or is the project bogus and does not care what we think for that is obvious to us by not telling us any news about the project. It is not good enough for example to tell us in the News in the case of ABC@Home that the project will be off for a few hours whilst they install a new server when there was no news why it has not been active since April last year, they have not even exported stats since that time. O'Project and many other projects are in a similar boat showing no interest in looking after the hand that feeds them.

<warning. the following is partly off topic but related> Unfortunately I have been banned from the BOINC Forum by Ageless the Forum Admin. He has hidden a post by me and explained in a PM that it was hidden because I am too aggressive and demanding, he warned me that unless I stay away on the ground that I am too aggressive and demanding I will be banned until the 26th of January or permanently. This effectively stopped my campaign for I can not participate in any debate. I maintain that the hidden post is not aggressive and or demanding. Should anybody be interested in that post, please send me a PM and I will post it to you for your evaluation. The main topic in which I can not participate is located Here [/end of warning]

To date, Dr Anderson the founder of the BOINC software has registered my name as a reply to my email to the BOINC Developers Forum and has given me a Password to edit the BOINC Wiki as it still contains Active known projects like Aqua@Home that have retired a long time ago. I will continue my campaign to have an effective policy of what projects should appear in the BOINC Manager option to choose a project when you wish to add a project to your list another time and another place. Bear in mind that it is not expected that Developers of the project should spend hours researching every project as to their status. We as volunteers could be useful in doing just that as long as we have a guideline to determine when is a Project considered Active, Inactive or Retired. I am just suggesting that we should have a system of reporting our findings to a person who can add or remove a project from the list.

I hope that the above is not too far off topic and I hope that I will not be banned from here as well because I am exercising my right to express my feeling as a Free man. Admin or Moderator. Should you consider that this topic deserves the creation of a New Thread, please move it and do so, edit it as necessary by leaving out irrelevant parts, but please do not ban me or hide the post for I am sure other users who put considerable finance and volunteer their time to help the Scientific Research community might like to debate this problem until it is resolved one way or another. I would appreciate if somebody who has the time write to that thread and let them know that Dr Anderson has indeed had time to answer my question to my email to the Boinc Dev email list despite his busy schedule. I can not post there until the 26th of January as I am banned. As regards Ageless the Admin, I apologize if I have offended him in any way for I had no idea or intention to deliberately offend him.

Keep on crunching and have a nice day.

I agree with you completely. Some standards should be set for this. I know many, if not most, of these projects run on shoestring budgets, at best. However, sending an email or posting a news item in their forum or on their home page costs nothing but a few minutes of time. Considering the amount of money the crunchers spend to support these projects, a few minutes of the admin's time is not much to ask. Keep fighting the good fight!
Dr Who Fan
BAM!ID: 1075
Credits: 145,173,822
World-rank: 8,281

2015-01-22 07:42:38

Cruncher Pete [BlackOpsTeam wrote:

As I have previous mentioned in posts here at BoincStats and at the "official" Boinc Forum boards:
30 DAY IS PLENTY OF TIME TO LET US KNOW of an upcoming lack of work or complete shutdown of the project.

Besides, when a projects shuts down, disappears without prior notice or for lack of administrative duties on their part they DO NOT RENEW THE "ownership" of the website's URL and/or SERVER(s) get "HIJACKED" by SPAMMERS.... our email address, password, etc are susceptible to being compromised/stolen.

With all the cyberstalking, web site hackings, etc in the news... there should be a CLEAR DIRECTIVE from the MAIN BOINC STAKE HOLDERS (David Anderson, et all) about what happens to our REGISTRATION information (email, password, etc) when a project is going to shut down.

Now that I think of it......... I have YET TO SEE/FIND A "PRIVACY or DATA/ACCOUNT" RETENTION POLICY ON ANY OF THE BOINC PROJECTS.
krzyszp

2015-01-23 00:31:46
last modified: 2015-01-23 00:32:15

I have to tell you something about persons behind of *some* of projects...
Our projects not always are started by universities, sometimes started by volunteers as you are. I'm volunteer, I'm project admin...

I understand your stress, but I would like you to understand people like me...

Some time ago we have started Radioactive@Home - in my opinion great project if you consider, that no ANY governance, university or any other support was involved (just volunteers). After this project, I have started Plagiarism@Home... and this project shows me, that without substantial support I can't do it really good. But, before I found this, I run out money to keep server alive. Of course, Polish BOINC Society offer me support, but re-create server is now out of my scope, as other tasks takes my spare time and up to now we don't found financial support for it...

Some of you will say, that I had wasted your time, my answer is NO - because my experience in the subject was published on forum, target requirements for project was described and required hardware target is set - this push forward our knowledge about what is required for this challenge...
Regards,

Tom_unoduetre
    Donator
Tester
BAM!ID: 1183
Credits: 4,372,332
World-rank: 91,003

2015-01-23 09:13:54

Hi Krzysztof,

thanks for sharing some information from a project admin standpoint.

I cannot speak for everyone here but I think most users agree the arguments you are showing, like that keeping a project alive is not easy, if you lack resources, money, private time etc., and if for any reason a project can not go on any more that it has to be shut down.

All we ask is that then the project admin writes some lines about why and when the project shuts down, so that the crunchers can carry on with other projects. I think it´s no big deal to log into the forum and write some words in it, it´s a matter of minutes. (No offense to you, I consider you being one of the goog guys )
krzyszp

2015-01-23 10:44:53

Tom_unoduetre wrote:

I think it´s no big deal to log into the forum and write some words in it, it´s a matter of minutes.

I have to agree with you
Yes, it is not a big deal and I will remember this lesson
Regards,

Pages: [1]

Index :: The Projects :: O Project. Any ideas what has happened to it?
Reason: