Pages: [1]
cdsmitty01
BAM!ID: 171554
Credits: 2,634,176
World-rank: 123,595

2015-02-09 21:35:22
last modified: 2015-02-09 21:39:44

I've been part of BOINC for a while now, and I'm doing my best with allowing my computer, and Android phone do as much as possible I first have to tell you that I'm not very "techy" so please patience with me. My questions are: Why do the projects "bump" each other from finishing, is it because they cycle through a time frame ie. a project will run for an hour, then the next one will start? When I come to the BOINC Stats page, and look at my account, or profile it doesn't show all my teams (shows only one of the four) is this because I haven't been accepted into those other teams? I really want to help out as much as possible, because I know all the projects are important, and I really want laptop, and phone to do as much as possible Is there a way for an Administrator to actually look at my setup/preferences to make sure they are correct (in case I screwed something up), and possibly change/fix what I may have done (or haven't done) properly? I hope this all made sense, and I'm not wasting anyone's time. Thank you for any help, or suggestions. I look forward to any response I meant to ask what exactly happens when I "Synchronize with BOINCStats" in the Tools section? I tap it every couple of hours to be safe.
Cheers!
Colin Smith
noderaser

BAM!ID: 13859
Credits: 254,551,138
World-rank: 5,627

2015-02-10 04:00:18

The project behavior you describe is likely due to the "resource share" you assigned to each project through BAM or the project webpages. You enter this as a numerical value, then BOINC Manager interprets it as a percentage that it will attempt to adhere to--though it will not be a cut-and-dry even time distribution. It's a floating average that is affected by a number of factors, including the work supply from your project(s) and any changes you make to the projects you have attached or their resource share. I wouldn't worry about that part too much, BOINC does its best to try and even everything out, but if you want to give more work to a particular project then you just increase its resource share until you have something resembling the proportions you want to contribute.

Another preference that will affect this behavior, is "Switch between applications every" xx minutes. If it's really bugging you, you can try changing this setting, but in my experience you probably won't even need this unless you have a high cache setting with extra work pre-loaded. I usually run my "Connect to network about every" and "Maintain enough work for an additional" settings very low, so BOINC doesn't download more work that it can currently process, in which case you shouldn't really see it switching at all.

Regarding your team, BOINCstats combined will show the team that you a member of at the most projects.

You could always post your settings here in the forum, but there really aren't any "correct" settings. You have to find a balance that makes BOINC do what you want it to.

Synchronizing with BAM is only necessary when you want to manually update a host if you've added or removed projects via the web interface, and even then it's not totally necessary as your host will automatically contact BAM on a set interval.
cdsmitty01
BAM!ID: 171554
Credits: 2,634,176
World-rank: 123,595

2015-02-10 04:13:13

Great! Thank you very much for getting back to me. I'm glad I never adjusted any values, and left everything alone thinking that it would have its own settings Thanks again for easing my mind with BOINC.
Cheers!
Colin Smith
Pages: [1]

Index :: Comments and suggestions :: Help/Confused
Reason: