Pages: [1]
Allen Paschke
BAM!ID: 199240
Credits: 423,400,114
World-rank: 3,940

2018-09-06 16:27:42

I object to political ads at the top of BOINC Stats to vote for or against someone in the U.S.A. November Election.

BOINC, including BOINC Stats, should remain political neutral.
Dr Who Fan
BAM!ID: 1075
Credits: 145,179,783
World-rank: 8,279

2018-09-06 20:12:39
last modified: 2018-09-06 20:13:50

I agree. I am not sure how much control Willy has over what type of ads show up on the web site.

Also some Internet Service Providers (ISP) HIJACK the advertisements on web site and OVERLAY/INJECT/DISPLAY what ads they want instead. My ISP has been caught doing just that. Not sure how many still do and do not trust them not to as noted in the 2 articles below.

Comcast to Customer Who Noticed It Secretly Injecting Code: Maybe It’s Your Fault?
Comcast is once again under fire for injecting JavaScript code into websites its customers visit.

Comcast to Customer Who Noticed It Secretly Injecting Code: Maybe It’s Your Fault?
Beyond underhanded, Comcast and other carriers are inserting their own ads and notifications into their customers’ data streams

2018-09-06 21:08:36

I hate any unwanted advertisement as well especially political. However, BOINCStats Ads helps to recover only some of the costs associated with running he website. In order to remove Ads we need to donate funds and don't aspect Willy to pay for it all on his own. This site is not associated in any way with BOINC and is run privately by Willy de Suiter (?spelling). Personally, I do not even see any of the ads for I do not focus on it and don't read it.
Allen Paschke
BAM!ID: 199240
Credits: 423,400,114
World-rank: 3,940

2018-10-05 16:05:26

It is really a conflict of interest for BOINC Stats to take money displaying ads from a politician running for office who is a "Climate Denier" and anti-science.

Is it in BOINC's interest to help a person like this get elected.
Dr Who Fan
BAM!ID: 1075
Credits: 145,179,783
World-rank: 8,279

2018-10-06 04:01:00

Allen Paschke wrote:

It is really a conflict of interest for BOINC Stats to take money displaying ads from a politician running for office who is a "Climate Denier" and anti-science.

Is it in BOINC's interest to help a person like this get elected.

OBVIOUSLY YOU DID NOT READ WHAT I POSTED PREVIOUSLY:
I am not sure how much control Willy has over what type of ads show up on the web site.
marsinph

BAM!ID: 212539
Credits: 5,884,060,297
World-rank: 562

2018-10-10 15:04:58

Hello,
I am also against politicals subjects / ads,... here.

Then about the "ads", very irritating, I also agree.
But you can not change it. It is depending the coockies on your personal computer, operating system and the internet exp^lorer you use (IE, Mozilla,.....)
Not forget that all the "ads", are added by Google itself, depending what you visited before.
Test it, look what ads you have. Then go to a other wel know site, and soon the ads will change to this site

With all the knownledge of Willy, only Google can chage something ! And they will not do of course.
It is one of financial institution, not philantropic ! As far as I know !!!

So to reduce as mch as possile is to never clic on the "ads", and for sure never on "close" ads" !
Of course the action is reported to Google, and the next time, a other "ads" , will appear.
Because, tou close it, Google, will suggest a second advertising....

For people who "clean coockies" after closing brwser, good idea, but it change nothing !!!
On make the next visit a little bit slower.
Why because all coockies are also registred in a other file. Not the content of coockies itself, but the name.
Under Windows, it is in the old "document and setting" folder. Who is not more accessible since Win7.
Only by start under Linux, from a boot CD (or US you can access it !
Normal, before start of WIN, the security groups are not activated

So, unfortunately, I see not solution about "ads".
And I also not agree about political.
BOINC is for research

[BOINCstats] Willy

Forum moderator - Administrator - Developer - Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 1
Credits: 350,105,499
World-rank: 4,518

2018-10-11 09:18:00

I don't like political ads either. Like yesterday, I got ads on my site for a political party I despise. However, it's not something I can control.

In fact, I don't like ads at all. They do however help keeping the lights on, not just here but on other sites as well, that's why I don't block them anywhere, but I think it's a bit different for me because I know how sites can depend on them.

However, BOINCstats does offer a solution which helps both BOINCstats and the ad hater: when you donate you get the option to disable all ads.
Please do not PM, IM or email me for support (they will go unread/ignored). Use the forum for support.
Pages: [1]

Index :: Comments and suggestions :: Polital Ads
Reason: