Traduction française : Polaris et Cedricdd de L'Alliance Francophone


Index :: BAM! Bug Report :: Detaching doesn't work, setting work preferences doesn't work, setting resouce share doesn't work.

Pages: [1]
Author
Message
omniscient
PM
BAM!-ID: 96927
Joined: 2011-02-15
Posts: 8
Credits: 14,411,233
World-rank: 29,630
Posted 2011-10-04 10:59:42
As the title states... changing work preference in BAM has no effect - I have to manually clear preferences on each host before they get the new settings.

Detaching from projects doesn't work - detaching is a permanent state - I have to manually disjoin each host from BAM, detach the projects and rejoin BAM.

Resource shares are messy - changing resource share in BAM has messed up effects on hosts - I've had episodes where a host should share resources equally between each project - but instead assigns 90% to one project and leaves the others with the remaining 10% - the only way to fix this was to stop using BAM on the host, detach all projects and rejoin BAM. I've also had episodes where changing resource share - simply has no effect on host at all - again have to stop using BAM on host, detach all and rejoin.

The whole purpose of using BAM is so I don't have to individually manage my 30 hosts that are spread over the entire country - but BAM makes it harder to manage them. If I individually managed each host at least their settings and preferences would be right - with BAM I have no idea if the settings are even going to take effect and if they do I have no idea if the settings that take effect will match the settings I've specified in BAM!

Are these problems isolated to me? Should I pack it in and give up on using BAM - or is this something other users experience - in which case are they issues that are being worked on.

PS I understand WCG just doesn't play nice so I'm happy to exclude that project - but the problems remain for the other projects which I believe should just work.

Thanks for reading.

AJ
Gundolf Jahn
PM Profile
BAM!-ID: 16586
Joined: 2007-01-07
Posts: 469
Credits: 480,988
World-rank: 301,017
Posted 2011-10-04 11:30:57
omniscient wrote:
As the title states... changing work preference in BAM has no effect - I have to manually clear preferences on each host before they get the new settings.

That works as designed, as it's a BOINC feature and so no BAM! bug.

Local preference override the global (online) ones. And since BAM! has no possibility to change the local preferences, your only option is to clear them and use the online preferences, which are maintained by BAM!.

Gruß,
Gundolf

Computer sind nicht alles im Leben. (Kleiner Scherz)
omniscient
PM
BAM!-ID: 96927
Joined: 2011-02-15
Posts: 8
Credits: 14,411,233
World-rank: 29,630
Posted 2011-10-04 11:41:01 , last modified: 2011-10-04 11:45:06
Thanks for the response...

Perhaps I don't understand the Work Preferences then - there are no local preferences set on the Hosts. All preferences come from my Work Preferences set in http://boincstats.com/bam/preferences.php

If I make changes to Work Preferences in BAM - the hosts do not receive the changed/updated preferences. I have to clear preferences (as if I were clearing local preferences - but as I say no local preferences have ever been set) - only then will the host show the changed/updated preferences. And to make myself clear - If I were then to change the Work Preferences in BAM, again, - I'd have to clear the preferences on the host, again, to update them.

Is this a "by-design" feature of the BOINC client?

How can I manage Work Preferences for multiple hosts that are geographically distant from me?
Curly
PM
BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!-ID: 2588
Joined: 2006-06-26
Posts: 480
Credits: 167,006,962
World-rank: 4,861
Posted 2011-10-04 12:21:43
omniscient wrote:
Perhaps I don't understand the Work Preferences then - there are no local preferences set on the Hosts. All preferences come from my Work Preferences set in http://boincstats.com/bam/preferences.php


Did you click the "Save preferences to projects" link?

Next step is to check the work preferences at the projects. Do they match the work preferences on BAM?
omniscient
PM
BAM!-ID: 96927
Joined: 2011-02-15
Posts: 8
Credits: 14,411,233
World-rank: 29,630
Posted 2011-10-04 12:32:16
Curly wrote:

Did you click the "Save preferences to projects" link?

Next step is to check the work preferences at the projects. Do they match the work preferences on BAM?


I do click "Save preferences to projects" - I have just checked and the projects do indeed show the updated preferences with a modification time-stamp. (Except of course WCG)

Does this mean there is a problem with my hosts?
Pages: [1]

Index :: BAM! Bug Report :: Detaching doesn't work, setting work preferences doesn't work, setting resouce share doesn't work.
Reason: