Pages: [1]
pandem
BAM!ID: 8026
Credits: 189,697,944
World-rank: 6,907

2009-06-23 09:58:21

Questions to anyone that knows how BOINC and BAM should work.

I have only one default preferences on BAM and on all my projects. Boinc Version 6.6.36

The BOINC -> Advance -> Preferences will overide all other preferences after I select 'OK' ? YES or NO

When I set my default preferences in BAM preferences then setting is then past on to all the project that I have signed up for? YES or NO.
This would make all the projects that I have signed up for have the same setting? YES or NO

Is this correct? "I would like to have all projects set to Suspend work while computer is in use? so all I need to do is to set the Work preference "Do work while computer is in use? No" and thern ensure Save preferences to projects has been selected.
After some time all projects should be set the same as then BAM settings." YES or NO
Gundolf Jahn

BAM!ID: 16586
Credits: 447,470
World-rank: 321,396

2009-06-23 10:09:17
last modified: 2009-06-23 10:10:42

pandem wrote:
The BOINC -> Advance -> Preferences will overide all other preferences after I select 'OK' ? YES or NO

Yes, until you press 'Clear' and only on the computer where you do it (it's local).

When I set my default preferences in BAM preferences then setting is then past on to all the project that I have signed up for? YES or NO.

Yes. Even without BAM! the global preferences are shared between all projects.

This would make all the projects that I have signed up for have the same setting? YES or NO

Yes.

Is this correct? "I would like to have all projects set to Suspend work while computer is in use? so all I need to do is to set the Work preference "Do work while computer is in use? No" and thern ensure Save preferences to projects has been selected.
After some time all projects should be set the same as then BAM settings." YES or NO

Yes, if with "Work preference" you don't mean the 'work' venue. Those are shared too, but only computers on the same venue will obey them.

Gruß,
Gundolf
Computer sind nicht alles im Leben. (Kleiner Scherz)
Jord
BAM!ID: 18
Credits: 22,262,191
World-rank: 30,428

2009-06-23 20:35:35

Gundolf Jahn wrote:
pandem wrote:

Yes

No... not all other preferences. Only the same found between the local preferences and the web-preferences. If a preference is available on the project's web-site, but not in the local preferences, it won't be overridden. Also project preferences can only be set through the project web site, they won't be overridden by the local preferences.

There are also local preferences available that aren't available on the web-preferences. Like the day-of-the-week-override preferences.

pandem wrote:

Depending on venue... As long as all the computers are on the same venue and you changed that venue, then yes.
noderaser

BAM!ID: 13859
Credits: 254,540,737
World-rank: 5,627

2009-06-24 06:22:05

I think you might have to click "Save preferences to projects" from the "Work preferences" page in the BAM menu before anything is actually sent to the projects... Unless it's a new project you are just attaching to BAM?
pandem

2009-06-25 04:10:54

Hello Gundorf,

Yes. Even without BAM! the global preferences are shared between all projects.

Yes.

So there is a mechanism that passes this Venue preference between my system and the projects. What even the mechanism is, I should have the same setting on each project.

So now my issue is, why during the interchange of Venue preference between my projects do the settings for "Suspend while in use" and others get changed? I keep finding my system low on memory when I log back in and it stays that way until I restart the BOINC service.
This is what I did.
I disabled BAM via the AMS setting. Ensured all my projects had ONLY the default Venue, ON all my projects set "Suspend while in use" and Max Memory in use to 1%. Also set the Percentage of CPU to use to a different figure on each Project so I could track which project was the last one to update.
This is what I found. Percentage of CPU after a while seemed to be set to a common figure, this is not an issue, but it confirmed to me that it seems to work.
BUT the "Suspend while in use" was different across projects. Some had it SET while others had it UNSET. Even the Memory to use while in use was different. Any thoughts on this
I have not produced a final project setting tabulation, I want to give the projects a few days to think about it.

Pandem.
pandem

2009-06-25 06:13:55

Hello All,

Since writing the previous I have found that minirosetta is left in memory and using 128M even though I have the flag for Leave application in memory while suspended DISABLED. I have schecked the Rosetta site and the setting is set of "1% of memory when computer is in use"

I must say that given the discrepences in the other flag settings my major issue is the Leave application in memory while suspended DISABLED works for some projects but not for others.

Pandem.
noderaser

BAM!ID: 13859
Credits: 254,540,737
World-rank: 5,627

2009-06-26 02:17:14

Have you tried "Save preferences to projects" and then manually synchronize with BAM from the client?
pandem

2009-06-29 03:35:12

Noderaser,

Yes I have saved the settings and ensured that all the projects received the update. One thing I have done as it is starting to annoy me is to remove Boinc from my system, deleted all Boinc type directories at the expense of unfinished work and re installed. I have done this on two systems and have four left in the original configuration.

I still have the issue of projects, for example SETI using memory and not returning it when the system is in use. Also the Suspend while in use flag varies across project , some report it is set others unset.
As I require to have all the memory returned when the system is in use is to uninstall BOINC on those system. Sad but it seems to be the only solution that I can see and it works.

Pandem.
Curly
BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!ID: 2588
Credits: 184,486,962
World-rank: 7,042

2009-06-29 06:15:27

Hi pandem,

you don't have to uninstall boinc. Simply stop the boinc service or exit the boinc manager (whether you installed boinc as service or not) when you need the resources. Then all the memory is free of boinc stuff (check that there's no boinc process in the task list). Restart Boinc when you've finished the work.

You can also set the time slots when boinc should not run through the preferences. But propably that's the same problem as with the suspend in ram.

Gundolf Jahn

2009-06-29 08:41:49

pandem wrote:
...I still have the issue of projects, for example SETI using memory and not returning it when the system is in use...

Did you set "Leave applications in memory while suspended?" to "no"?
(suspended applications will consume swap space if 'yes')
(there's also a local preference with the same name)

Gruß,
Gundolf
Computer sind nicht alles im Leben. (Kleiner Scherz)
pandem

2009-06-29 14:10:34

Gundorf,

I have set "Leave applications in memory while suspended?" to "no" so this should remove them from memeory. On my systems It does NOT function as it should in particular SETI is left in memory and only removed when I restart the deamon.

Curly,

You are correct, I could do that but I think the whole point of the settings in BOINC is to have the projects move in and out of use and memory WITHOUT any interaction from the user. From what I have noted the settings in BOINC don't function as they should.

2009-06-29 14:17:33

pandem wrote:
Gundorf,
I have set "Leave applications in memory while suspended?" to "no" so this should remove them from memeory. On my systems It does NOT function as it should in particular SETI is left in memory and only removed when I restart the deamon.

then you should decide to run only projects that behave properly - this is not a problem of boinc itself, it is the app that does not react as it should do.
Gundolf Jahn

2009-06-29 14:46:33

frankhagen wrote:
pandem wrote:
Gundolf,

then you should decide to run only projects that behave properly - this is not a problem of boinc itself, it is the app that does not react as it should do.

But with my machines (BOINC 5.10.45 and 5.8.16) SETI and Einstein behave correctly, both "yes" and "no" are heeded.

Gruß,
Gundolf

2009-06-29 15:07:50

Gundolf Jahn wrote:
frankhagen wrote:
pandem wrote:
Gundolf,

But with my machines (BOINC 5.10.45 and 5.8.16) SETI and Einstein behave correctly, both "yes" and "no" are heeded.

Gruß,
Gundolf

ok - maybe just another improvement introduced by skilled developers with boinc 6.xx..
Pages: [1]

Index :: The Projects :: Preferences: Suspend while in use/ No work while in use.
Reason: