Pages: [1]
Tuna Ertemalp

Tester
BAM!ID: 37744
Credits: 20,799,048,922
World-rank: 233

2015-03-31 07:20:45
last modified: 2015-03-31 07:28:47

This looks like a very useful table to look at before complaining "why am I not getting as many credits for this project as fast as I am getting for this other project", or finding the answer to "what projects should I support to go up in the credit rankings because that is what I care, not the science." But, it seems like it can use a bit of updating...

1. It seems the list of projects in this table are fixed, thus outdated. I say that because a bunch of projects are missing, like vLHCathome. And, bunch of cells are at 0 since they belong to projects that seem to be inactive. Shouldn't the rows/columns be determined on the fly based on all the currently active projects? And, by "active", I mean projects whose "Recent average credit RAC" is currently not zero. I believe this would also get rid of all the rows/columns full of zeroes and dashes.

2. There should be a little text at the top or bottom, describing what the value in the cells mean. If I am looking at the row for SETI@home and the column for Einstein, and see 0.0685, and then look at the row for Einstein and the column for SETI@home and see 14.5886, what calculation brings out those numbers? It seems obvious that higher number means project on the row is a better producer of credits than the project in the column, but does that mean that Einstein "pays" ~14.6 times more than SETI?? Or something else? How is it calculated? What date range is contributing to the data for that calculation?

3. If at all possible, the first column of project names should be locked in place so that it doesn't scroll off the left of the screen while scrolling to compare rows against columns in the right half of the table. Yes, the cell tooltips help, but having the row/column names both always visible on the screen while scrolling around would be very nice.

4. I think there should be a new last column that averages all the values of its row. That would be the average value of how much "better" the project of that row is on average, compared to all the other active projects.

5. And, given that new last column, there should be a way to sort the rows based on that value, so that the "best" project on average is at the top. Of course, that should be generalized to be able to sort the rows against the values in any column, so that one can see how the row-projects compare against each other for a given column-project.

6. Clicking on each cell brings up a nice chart. That is great, but should be a link that causes a new browser tab to come up. When the new chart page replaces the table, going back takes a bit time for the table to repaint and get situated on the screen.

7. Last, but not least, it'd be great if one could download this table at the click of a button, as a comma or tab separated text file, so that one can import it into Excel. Currently the only way seems to be to select the whole table, copy and paste it into Excel, and that has bunch of issues around formatting, and this annoying thing that happens with the column titles where each letter ends up occupying an individual cell.

Thanks for the consideration!
Tuna

Tuna Ertemalp

Tester
BAM!ID: 37744
Credits: 20,799,048,922
World-rank: 233

2015-03-31 08:38:31

And...

8. The My Projects page should have a button or link that leads to a similar table, but only using the projects on My Projects page, so that I can just compare what I am churning on.

Pages: [1]

Index :: Comments and suggestions :: Project Credit Comparison page could use some renewed love
Reason: