Pages: [1]

2015-02-18 22:13:16

In the option to sign up for projects, Climateprediction.net Beta the project status is listed as Alpha. The account creation is disabled at the project. My last attempt (some time ago) to find my account resulted in Account not found yet my stats shows millions in credit.

My suggestion is to stop offering such inaccurate and confusing information to users. The project is either in Apha, Beta or production state but no Alpha and Beta at the same time. Why is it listed in the first place offering the project to us when account creation is disabled. It will save a lot of time on both the Admins and users if this kind of information is not offered in the first place.

Note that currently three projects are offered in the list. The second 'Quake Catcher Network' is also not available to me since it requires a special equipment a sensor that is not available to most users. I have a laptop that even that has not been equipped with a sensor and I would need to purchase one specifically for the project. Accordingly it should not be offered as a general project that you can use and sign up for. The third project 'Renderfarm.fi' has been inactive for months and I can not join it for it is listed as account creation disabled.. Again why is it offered to us.

Please do not take this as a bitch session offering negative input for I like BOINCStats and appreciate the amount of effort it has been put into it to help us make our crunching more pleasant. Take this as a constructive criticism for we can do better even though it might take a bit more time.
Jeff17

Tester - BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!ID: 47291
Credits: 11,393,676,907
World-rank: 341

2015-02-20 03:02:57

Pete

"Climateprediction.net Beta" is the name of the project. It is not clear if the Beta refers to the status of the project of the status of the applications being run, but I think it is the applications. When I searched for you at the Beta project site I didn't find an account.
This is the testing version of Climate Prediction. Do you maybe have an account at that project and thus the credits, I can't check since the site is down? Note that the credits for "Climateprediction.net Beta" are reported as part of your "Climate Prediction" credits. This is done at the project.

For the Alpha, Beta, Prod status of projects see this recent thread http://boincstats.com/en/forum/10/9825,1

For the various projects you can't run (closed/restricted account creation or special hardware required) but are active, they need to be listed on the Projects page so those of us that have accounts or equipment can add them and thus can use BAM to manage them for us.

Renderfarm.fi - see discussion about retiring it http://boincstats.com/en/forum/10/8045,1
DoctorNow

Volunteer tester
BAM!ID: 261
Credits: 2,469,699,258
World-rank: 1,064

2015-02-20 14:18:28

Cruncher Pete [BlackOpsTeam wrote:

The second 'Quake Catcher Network' is also not available to me since it requires a special equipment a sensor that is not available to most users.

Who says that? Everyone with a bit money can buy them, it's not that they cost more than hundreds of Dollars/Euros...
Only thing is: selling of the sensors is currently stopped as far as I can see from the homepage, don't know why though.
BOINC@Heidelberg & BOINC Confederation-member

My BOINCstats/[url=http://signature.statseb.fr/sig-335.png]My badges
noderaser

BAM!ID: 13859
Credits: 254,540,739
World-rank: 5,626

2015-02-21 07:11:50
last modified: 2015-02-21 07:12:23

DoctorNow wrote:

The second 'Quake Catcher Network' is also not available to me since it requires a special equipment a sensor that is not available to most users.

Who says that? Everyone with a bit money can buy them, it's not that they cost more than hundreds of Dollars/Euros...
Only thing is: selling of the sensors is currently stopped as far as I can see from the homepage, don't know why though.

Some devices have compatible sensors built in, many Android phones and tablets do as well as Macbook/Macbook Pro and some other laptops.

Additional devices are not available for purchase, as the project has lost its funding and is running on fumes. I like and support the project, having gotten a sensor when they were still in a growth phase, but in all reality it will probably not be around for much longer. Unfortunately, the people who previously administered the project don't seem to have much interest in finding alternative funding or accepting help from volunteers.
DoctorNow

Volunteer tester

2015-02-21 11:03:53

noderaser wrote:

Additional devices are not available for purchase, as the project has lost its funding and is running on fumes. I like and support the project, having gotten a sensor when they were still in a growth phase, but in all reality it will probably not be around for much longer. Unfortunately, the people who previously administered the project don't seem to have much interest in finding alternative funding or accepting help from volunteers.

Hm, okay, didn't know that, I'm not familiar with the forum there, rarely needed to look at.
Would be a shame to lose another NCI-project since I'm with it almost from the beginning with one of the first USB-sensors.

2015-02-23 22:03:14

DoctorNow wrote:

Thanks DoctorNow. You have quoted me therefore it is not necessary to be facetious and say "Who says that?". First you tell me that Everyone can buy them then tell us that selling of the sensors is stopped. A very helpful comment.
DoctorNow

Volunteer tester

2015-02-24 05:39:39
last modified: 2015-02-24 06:23:45

A very helpful comment.

Well, I can't say more than a Sorry because I thought it would be only temporary that the sensor selling is stopped. I wasn't aware that the project is on the edge of vanishing, otherwise I probably never would have answered since Jeff17 already covered the rest of the questions.

Pages: [1]

Index :: Comments and suggestions :: Sig-up for projects.
Reason: