Pages: [1]
Sid2

Forum moderator - BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!ID: 28578
Credits: 593,058,630
World-rank: 3,055

2016-01-05 20:12:38

Windows 10 is a pretty good desktop operating system. Unfortunately, that OS is very far from perfect. The most glaring issue, of course, is the confusing privacy settings. Plus, let us not forget the arguably shady tactics Microsoft is employing to get users to upgrade to the operating system. While Windows 10 is more focused than its predecessor, there is still a lack of consistency, such as having a Settings Menu and separate Control Panel menu.

If you install an LTS version of Ubuntu -- meaning Long Term Support -- you are guaranteed 5 years of support from initial release. During this time, you can be confident that you can stay on the version and receive timely updates. Canonical will release newer versions during that 5 year span, but never will you receive pop-up messages begging you to upgrade. You can upgrade if you want, but it will be optional and no-pressure.

Canonical seems to respect its users, while Microsoft's patronizing tactics make me question their customer focus.

5 ways Ubuntu Linux is better than Microsoft Windows 10

2016-01-09 23:35:14

Sid2 wrote:

Windows 10 is a pretty good desktop operating system. Unfortunately, that OS is very far from perfect. The most glaring issue, of course, is the confusing privacy settings. Plus, let us not forget the arguably shady tactics Microsoft is employing to get users to upgrade to the operating system. While Windows 10 is more focused than its predecessor, there is still a lack of consistency, such as having a Settings Menu and separate Control Panel menu.

If you install an LTS version of Ubuntu -- meaning Long Term Support -- you are guaranteed 5 years of support from initial release. During this time, you can be confident that you can stay on the version and receive timely updates. Canonical will release newer versions during that 5 year span, but never will you receive pop-up messages begging you to upgrade. You can upgrade if you want, but it will be optional and no-pressure.

Canonical seems to respect its users, while Microsoft's patronizing tactics make me question their customer focus.

5 ways Ubuntu Linux is better than Microsoft Windows 10

Thanks Sid2, I agree with you. Unfortunately Ubuntu is not for the weak at heart or for people like me who is not a Geek. I am not going to give up and will learn how to handle Ubuntu but at this stage it looks like I have a hard learning curve ahead.
I managed to install Ubuntu and even BOINC from the software search options but it would not recognize either my AMD or NVIDIA GPU's. I tried to follow instructions in an alternative driver selection but on restart all I got is a blank screen with a blinking cursor. Any hints what to do next or start all over again using a different method.?
Sid2

Forum moderator - BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!ID: 28578
Credits: 593,058,630
World-rank: 3,055

2016-01-10 15:20:16

Cruncher Pete wrote:

I managed to install Ubuntu and even BOINC from the software search options but it would not recognize either my AMD or NVIDIA GPU's. I tried to follow instructions in an alternative driver selection but on restart all I got is a blank screen with a blinking cursor. Any hints what to do next or start all over again using a different method.?

We share a lot of common ground: I too am semi-literate in Linux and I have one linux box running it's GPU, I have two that don't. Get the familiar 'No usable GPU's found'.

Tried different versions of Ubuntu and searched the web for fixes [did the 'modprobe gambit' [among others] to no avail]. . .

Are there any linux gurus that can shine some light in the dark we find ourself stumbling around?
Zydor

Tester
BAM!ID: 65177
Credits: 2,139,882,904
World-rank: 1,203

2016-01-10 21:33:10
last modified: 2016-01-10 21:35:23

This whole saga has all the hallmarks of Betamax V VHS in the old "Video Format Wars".

In many respects, it matters not which is "Best" ..... we have long passed the Tipping Point on that one. Love it, like it, or hate it, the path is irrevocably set down the Windows Route, and thats not changing on a Worldwide Strategic Level ..... because far too much investment, time and energy has gone into the "Windows Route" by Industry.

The undoubted merits of Ubuntu et all, are hardly in dispute ... Nontheless, neither are the merits of a "Windows World", these things are never clear-cut, no matter the self justification that goes on. To change now at a strategic level away from Windows is not a practical reality for Commerce; not the least because the "Ubuntu" World and its like competitors in the non-Windows World, do not have the driven Mass Adoption of Windows nor its unified standards (far too many non-windows variants exist), and frankly never will have that adoption level, because Windows driven by more than Home Computing usage. As Apple discovered to their Strategic Cost, trumpeting purest technical superiority is not enough, no matter the warm feeling created...... and here they now are, with Microsoft driving the very Base Core Kernel of the Apple computing Kernel and Networking et al whatever is seen on the surface.

The future ?? It will be Windows unless the non-Windows world stop trying to be "The One" arguing over technicalities, and stop trying to prove "they" are the non-Windows "future". Commerce is driven by more than technicalities, it has other priorities. The latter do not extent in arguing over which non-Windows variant is best, much less arguing over how that undefined non-global version is going to "take over the world".
ShubhamGarg
BAM!ID: 233141
Credits: 0
World-rank: 0

2019-08-07 01:52:18

l agree wit you .Windows 10 is a pretty good desktop operating system. ... While Windows 10 is more focused than its predecessor, there is still a lack of consistency, such as having a Settings Menu and separate Control Panel menu. Meanwhile, in the land of Linux, Ubuntu hit 15.10; an evolutionary upgrade, which is a joy to use.
https://docsbay.net/the-top-10-advantages-ubuntu-has-over-windows
Pages: [1]

Index :: Interesting things on the web. :: 5 ways Ubuntu Linux is better than Microsoft Windows 10
Reason: