Pages: 1 [2]

2015-07-08 21:59:04
last modified: 2015-07-08 22:21:00

Roadranner wrote:

Mistakes were made on both sides - that always happens when communication is malfunctioning.
Many crunchers stopped using BAM! because it deleted the project from all pcs.
The main thing is: When will Pirates be back in the stats?
And please cut Cruncher Pete's admin rights!

Tell me, those who stopped using BAM told you that they stopped because Pirates is no longer shown? If that decision effected them so much than why have they not said anything in here. Please read the forums first, I do not have Admin rights here and never had. Am I so bad by pointing out this project is wasting your CPU cycles because it does nothing? or am I not permitted to say what I think? I do not wish to throw my money away to the Electric Company by allowing a project to enter my machines that by their own admission does nothing. Are you so desperate for points? I am sure that if the Admin of Pirates wanted his project listed here, he would have asked by now and I would think Willy would have listed it again.
Coleslaw
BAM!ID: 60911
Credits: 4,188,304,481
World-rank: 722

2015-07-09 15:36:15

I have only seen one poster say they left BOINCStats and that was a single post in the Pirates forums. So, not sure how the word "many" is being defined in this case, but yes it would be nice to see the source of the information.
Contact

BAM!ID: 3772
Credits: 1,089,401,814
World-rank: 1,961

2015-07-10 22:24:00

Cruncher Pete [BlackOpsTeam wrote:

Tell me, those who stopped using BAM told you that they stopped because Pirates is no longer shown? If that decision effected them so much than why have they not said anything in here.

You're right, I should have complained here rather than voicing my frustations on Pirates forum.
I chose not to because I already asked in this thread for pirates to be reinstated, and I didn't want to beat a dead horse.

I no longer use BAM! because I now see BAM! as some sort of government that has made a choice for me because it knows better what I should do.

That scared me enough to stop using BAM! for the time being. I'm now using the very outdated and not so useful Grid Republic. But GR has never retired a project yet.

I agreed with BAM! limiting my choices to join a project because I appreciate the protection and can overrule that decision and join any project I wish through BOINC Manager and everybody happy.

Retiring a project doesn't just mean it's no longer shown, but now BAM! deletes all historical information on all my computers for that project and that's not acceptable.

Don't take this as personal attack, but rather as a learning experience.

[BOINCstats] Willy

Forum moderator - Administrator - Developer - Tester - Translator
BAM!ID: 1
Credits: 350,105,499
World-rank: 4,518

2015-07-18 10:30:50

It's now possible to prevent retired projects from being detached from your hosts. Setting is on the BAM! settings page.
Please do not PM, IM or email me for support (they will go unread/ignored). Use the forum for support.

2015-07-18 12:47:10

Contact wrote:

Tell me, those who stopped using BAM told you that they stopped because Pirates is no longer shown? If that decision effected them so much than why have they not said anything in here.

You're right, I should have complained here rather than voicing my frustations on Pirates forum.
I chose not to because I already asked in this thread for pirates to be reinstated, and I didn't want to beat a dead horse.

I no longer use BAM! because I now see BAM! as some sort of government that has made a choice for me because it knows better what I should do.

That scared me enough to stop using BAM! for the time being. I'm now using the very outdated and not so useful Grid Republic. But GR has never retired a project yet.

I agreed with BAM! limiting my choices to join a project because I appreciate the protection and can overrule that decision and join any project I wish through BOINC Manager and everybody happy.

Retiring a project doesn't just mean it's no longer shown, but now BAM! deletes all historical information on all my computers for that project and that's not acceptable.

Don't take this as personal attack, but rather as a learning experience.

I am sorry Contact for I sure see this as a personal attack against me and I must defend myself.

Please be aware of the following facts:

1. I am not an Admin here and I have no authority to delete anything.

2. My suggestion to remove it was based on information provided to me as a result of my request to clarify if the project was still alive. It is well documented here why I suggested it.

3. I am also a subscriber and registered member of Pirates@Home. Despite the fact that I had the program running on my machines the last time I received Work Units was in December.

4. Your own member stated in answering my query what the project was doing was that the project is doing nothing. Please check your own Message Board what I asked and what the reply was. Personally, I do not wish to give open access to my machines to a project that does nothing Electricity costs are high enough as is and I do not like games that states "Hello World". Therefore, I have suggested that it be removed to save users time and money.

5. Please note that your Admin did not seem to care for he did not have time to reply, yet if you check when this thread was started you will see he or any concerned user had ample time before it was removed. Surely, your Admin or any of your fellow Pirate members should realize to voice your opinion in this forum since the debate was started here. Surely, if you Admin cared he would have stated his opinion here and asked that it be reinstated as it was removed under a mistaken belief or there was insufficient time to debate the suggestion.

Finally, if you have issues, concern's or found a bug in BAM, please report it here in this forum for it was designed just for that purpose. Surely you can see that a perceived problem can not be fixed until you point it out to someone. To say and I quote: "I no longer use BAM! because I now see BAM! as some sort of government that has made a choice for me because it knows better what I should do." is an unfair and unjustified statement for you have not stated the problem what is wrong with BAM and how it should be fixed. Willy is an unpaid volunteer founder and Administrator who spends considerable time trying to provide a service that satisfies most users. Personally I like to thank him for I care and since he was recently appointed as a member of the BOINC Project Management Committee it suggests that his efforts to provide such service is recognized and valued.

I have now said my piece. I do not understand why you insist thrashing a dead horse. I am sorry that you expected Willy to jump and reinstate it because one or two member of Pirates think it is a fun game. What happened to the rest of the membership of Pirates, don't they care for this forum was not inundated with complaints. If I was wrong to suggest that it be removed in the first place I apologize. I can only suggest that you Ask your Admin to talk to Willy and if he considers that the removal of Pirates@Home was a mistake than I am sure he will consider to reinstate it, but I can not speak for him.
Contact

2015-07-18 12:51:16

[BOINCstats Willy wrote:

It's now possible to prevent retired projects from being detached from your hosts. Setting is on the BAM! settings page.

Well done! This is a perfect compromise.

Contact

2015-07-18 13:35:12

I am sorry Contact for I sure see this as a personal attack against me and I must defend myself.

Believe me that this was not a personal attack against you or Willy or anyone else. I still feel we are all on the same team.
I think you made a decision to help most users but could not foresee the small hardship that was delivered to a few (or maybe just one) of us. This has been corrected for the future and I think if you made that same decision now I would have no cause for complaint.

Because of this experience I actually think more highly of you, Willy and BAM!
If i still see a government in BAM! it is the best government possible. Truly by the people, for the people.

Alex
Pages: 1 [2]

Index :: Retired projects :: Time to Retire Pirates@Home
Reason: