Pages: [1]
Bill

BAM!ID: 4615
Credits: 495,890,811
World-rank: 3,527

2017-11-05 22:05:19

I'm pleased to announce that I'm starting production workunits for SoFiA. After the removal of the Wm50 parameter from SoFiA's parameter files, the previous determinism issues disappeared, so I'm ready to begin pushing out production work units.

These work units are the exact same as the Duchamp ones, around 15MB in size. This time, however, we're running 486 different parameter combinations, which is up significantly from Duchamp's 176 parameter combinations. You can expect longer WU times, with a larger amount of credit per WU.

The project scientists are also in the process of re-chopping the DINGO cube in to larger, 100MB pieces that we'll also be running through SoFiA. When these cubelets are available, I will be splitting them in to a set of 5 different runs, with a different parameter set for each run. The first 4 runs will contain 100 of the 486 SoFiA parameters, with the final run making up the remaining 86 parameters.
I'll keep you updated as to when these workunits will be available.

I must also recommend that everyone does NOT update to VirtualBox 5.2 for the time being. I'm currently waiting on BOINC to officially release their VirtualBox 5.2 compatible wrapper versions.

Finally, I'm going to attempt to make time to check the Sourcefinder message boards every day, instead of only on Wednesdays when I'm actually working on Sourcefinder tasks. Hopefully this'll help me be significantly more responsive to any Sourcefinder related issues that crop up over the coming months.

Thank you everyone for being patient with the rather slow progress of the SoFiA beta. I hope to have a fairly steady flow of production work units.

Happy Crunching!

Sam.
1 Nov 2017, 2:43:17 UTC

Bill

BAM!ID: 4615
Credits: 495,890,811
World-rank: 3,527

2018-01-13 03:33:05

Update from Admin....

-----------
Happy New Year 2018!
Hello everyone!

I'm back from my 2 week break, so work will be resuming later today once the final set of SoFiA workunits have been dispatched.
Once those final 15mb workunits have finished processing, we'll be moving on to the 100mb workunits.

Before that, though, I plan on updating the SoFiA VM to use the latest version of SoFiA (rather than the fairly old one we've been using) in the hopes that we'll see some speed and reliability improvements.

I'll run a few batches of test 100mb workunits, and we'll see how they go. If we don't have any significant issues, then we'll continue on and process the rest. If we run into issues, then we'll continue to run test batches until I can work everything out.

I hope you've all had an excellent holiday period too, and are looking forward to what this year brings. I certainly am.

Sam
10 Jan 2018, 1:01:56 UTC

Pages: [1]

Index :: News :: Source Finder Duchamp Sofia
Reason: