Pages: [1]

2008-11-02 17:12:24

Hello,

I thought id install the new linux 8.10 Intrepid Ibex with my windows vista ultimate operating system so i can dual boot either windows or linux ...Comes in handy with simap scambles (Double dip - so to speak cache load to the hilt with windows then back in with linux)

The installation appeared to go fine when the machine restarted you are presented with :

Windows Vista Ultimate
Linux Ubuntu

I clicked on linux and after a few moments after watching the orange scroller progress bar bobbing allong the screen it went tits up.I was presented with a screen of gobbledygook and i'm assuming a promt.

I restarted the machine and booted back into windows vista explored my c drive drive and copied the boinc folder to dvdr.

Now i have wipped the hard drive clean reinstalled Windows Vista Ultimate and all updates anti virus & fire wall etc

I have thrown the intrepid ibex dvd out of the F***ing window and now i can't get back boinc running with all my projects/credits intact etc etc.

And to top it all off unless the remaining 60 simap wu's are on the disk somewhhere iv'e lost them too !

Any help and advice will be much appreciated.....

I can see the local recycling station the proud owner of my mini farm unless i can turn into

Kind Regards

John <-- Proud member of SOFA

2008-11-02 19:02:23

I clicked on linux and after a few moments after watching the orange scroller progress bar bobbing allong the screen it went tits up.I was presented with a screen of gobbledygook and i'm assuming a promt.

you did use II-desktop version?
Jayargh

BOINCstats SOFA member
BAM!ID: 325
Credits: 16,716,129
World-rank: 37,106

2008-11-02 20:22:34

That should be an easy process to copy the Boinc folder into Vista once you load Boinc back on there from Berkeley.

Is that host 64 or 32 bit? It matters as far as trying to load 64 on a 32 bit system. Grub has a problem with RAID's as well so if your system is using a raid it is not so simple....did you do an integrity check on the Intrepid CD? Sounds like your copy had errors

2008-11-02 20:46:20
last modified: 2008-11-02 20:58:35

Hello,

I did download the 32Bit desktop verson...

Running the product live it works fine and it appears to install fine...It tells you to remove the disk and do the restart etc

Then when you sellect either vista or linux..

Click on linux - grub loader bl bla bla

you get the progressbar and the following

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

I'm using a single scsi drive but it's not raided ( my old proliant was raided with 4 drives 0, 1, 5 etc)

I Used Free Download Manager and downloaded the software from ubuntu site - oxford mirror
And i used Burn CDCC to burn the iso - I read varified and finalised after burning.

Did i write the disk to fast ?

Kind Regards,

John

Jayargh

BOINCstats SOFA member

2008-11-02 21:03:23

Hello,

I did download the 32Bit desktop verson...

Running the product live it works fine and it appears to install fine...It tells you to remove the disk and do the restart etc

Then when you sellect either vista or linux..

Click on linux - grub loader bl bla bla

you get the progressbar and the following

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

I'm using a single scsi drive but it's not raided ( my old proliant was raided with 4 drives 0, 1, 5 etc)

I Used Free Download Manager and downloaded the software from ubuntu site - oxford mirror
And i used Burn CDCC to burn the iso - I read varified and finalised after burning.

Did i write the disk to fast ?

Kind Regards,

John

John it sounds like you did everything right...did you do the MD5 checksum on the burn? Sounds like you only did it on the d/l...If burn is too fast what happened to you is "normal". I personally have had much more luck on the burns with a DVD at the slowest write speed than a CD...hint....whichever you do always choose lowest speed as normal speed almost NEVER writes properly

2008-11-03 17:32:26

An update....

I burned several dvd's and each time reducing the write speed now finally i burrned a new dvd at x1 write speed the absolute lowest speed possible...It still wont boot up after the restart.

I changed rewriters - and even installed the burn disk using a secondary dvd rom only drive rather than the rewriter that burned it in the first place.

Still no joy....

I had an idea...I installed good old Hardy heron 8.4 that works a treat no problems...
I fully updated this version done the restart ...brilliant all's well.

Now i thought id update the package from within 8.4 hardy heron.

1.Start System/Administration/Software Sources
2.Click on the "Updates" tab and change "Show new distribution release" to "Normal releases"
3.Start System/Administration/Update Manager
4.Click the Check button to check for new updates.
5.If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
6.A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.
7.Click Upgrade.
8.Follow the on-screen instructions.

Brilliant..... after all this the machine say's well done have a pat on the back - now for the restart

Would you beleive it .......... Same poxy messages as before it hangs and does nothing not even going down the recovery route..

So linux can go and F**k itself

I cant beleive i have have wasted so many hours of my life and acheived F***all.

Kindest regards,

John

2008-11-04 10:59:37

I was really impressed with Hardy Heron 8.4 this worked a treat even on my boat anchor.

I couldn't wait to get my hand's on the newly released - Intrepid Ibex 8.10
Eventhough it wasn't a dedicated LTS (Long Term Support) version.

For some reason it just won't physically install successfully and boot up properly so i can log in and use it.

NEVERMIND.....I won't be long until

Ubuntu 9.04, Jaunty Jackalope is released.

The only reason i wanted to upgrade 8.4 to 8.10 or to freshly clean install 8.10 as this is always the best route..
Was i wanted to use the newest usable boinc client/manger

With Hardy Heron Boinc by default was version 5.x
With Intrepid Ibex Boinc by default was Version 6.x

And even though i asked for help on this matter...
How can i upgrade/update version 5.x ---> 6.x withing Hardy Heron 8.4 i received no help !

This i find unbeleiveable with a team that boasts so many members and i'm sure many linux users with a wealth of experience offering no help......

What do i make of it .....( answer is classified ! )

Kindest Regards,

John
Jayargh

BOINCstats SOFA member

2008-11-04 12:43:39

John-

I am not a Linux guru...I have just learned enough to run Boinc and do a few other things.....I have not upgraded to Intrepid as I have no need. I can install the newest versions of BOINC at will on 8.04. Now if you need help with that PM me and I can walk you through that.

2008-11-04 17:12:39

@ JR - Many thanks - i have indeed sent you a PM

I would like to have ideally Boinc version : 6.2.15 & not the default 5.4.11 thats in HH 8.4 via Synaptic Package Manger.

Kind Regards,

John <-- Ive got my knickers in a right old twist here - lol

2008-11-04 17:34:21

Now i thought id update the package from within 8.4 hardy heron.

Brilliant..... after all this the machine say's well done have a pat on the back - now for the restart

Would you beleive it .......... Same poxy messages as before it hangs and does nothing not even going down the recovery route..

So linux can go and F**k itself

I cant beleive i have have wasted so many hours of my life and acheived F***all.

hmm - that's exactly what i did to the Ubuntu-machine i'm running as as VM on Hyper-V. worked like charm - no hassles. looks like virtual hardware is better than real world..
Pages: [1]

Index :: Chatter :: I need of a little assistance....
Reason: